The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Man VS Boy" scenarios.

+19
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
sherm
Mr Bounce
Atila
John Bloody Wayne
Fists of Fury
bellchees
Mind the windows Tino.
AlexHuckerby
BALTIMORA
manos de piedra
bhb001
irishbrads
HumanWindmill
88Chris05
Steffan
Scottrf
BallchinianMuffwig
23 posters

Go down

"Man VS Boy" scenarios. Empty "Man VS Boy" scenarios.

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

Was just re-watching Joe Calzaghe VS Peter Manfredo Jr on Boxnation last night for the first time since it happened a few years ago, and the words "man VS boy" kept going through my head. The smaller, far more inexperienced Manfredo looked terrified after the first round and if that very premature stoppage hadn't happened, I think it's rather obvious a more genuine one may have but possibly not for some time.
The point is, what other "Man VS Boy" fights can you think of? Where one lesser fighter was made to look very much out of their depth by a better, more experienced and perhaps older fighter. And how could you see it in the "boys" demeanor? Another obvious one to get the ball further rolling is Kevin Mitchell VS Katsidis.
Any good shouts lads? Cheers.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

"Man VS Boy" scenarios. Empty Re: "Man VS Boy" scenarios.

Post by Scottrf Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:03 pm

Rhodes vs Alvarez. In reverse.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:10 pm

B Hop v Pavlik

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:12 pm

Although the younger man won in this case, Barrera versus Paul Lloyd (think it was 1999) is a classic case. Not just out of his depth, not just overawed, but hopelessly overmatched in every sense, Lloyd took an absolute hiding and was done in one round.

To be honest, Khan-Prescott will always be a good shout. The way Khan's legs went in to spasm and buckled from underneath him was a sure fire sign that he simply had faced nothing to prepare him for that kind of power. Frighteningly one-sided.

Danny Williams versus Vitali, anyone? It was almost painful to watch, as if Vitali was the kid with the magnifying glass and Williams the ant slowly being tortured to death underneath it. Say what you like about Williams but he showed immense bravery and courage to keep peeling himself off the canvas in that one, as did Andries against Hearns, although I think he was a few years older than the 'Hit Man.'
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:16 pm

Hagler v Sibson.

Tony Sibson is, to my mind, one of the most under rated of UK fighters. He was an excellent, robust middleweight who might very well have pushed to the limit the Benns and Eubanks of this world. So high was his stock when he challenged Hagler that some actually made him favourite going in.

The reality proved to be painfully different, as Hagler systematically broke him down and utterly dominated him.

I believe that Sibson, himself, made some reference to its having been a ' man against boy ' scenario during post fight interviews.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:38 pm

hi guys, i used to post on the old 606.

Anyway with regards to the Man v boy topic one that stood out for me although he was the younger fighter was Harrison Vs McCullagh, Harrison seemed to be so strong and big compared to wayne and gave him a hell of a beating which in fairness to wayne he took!! Very very one sided and should have been stopped way before the final bell!!

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Hagler v Sibson.

Tony Sibson is, to my mind, one of the most under rated of UK fighters. He was an excellent, robust middleweight who might very well have pushed to the limit the Benns and Eubanks of this world. So high was his stock when he challenged Hagler that some actually made him favourite going in.

The reality proved to be painfully different, as Hagler systematically broke him down and utterly dominated him.

I believe that Sibson, himself, made some reference to its having been a ' man against boy ' scenario during post fight interviews.

Excellent summary and was the one that came to mind immediately for me. Sibson was an excellent fighter, but beaten by a legend

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:19 pm

Duran v Davey Moore. Bullied, roughhoused, outpsyched the younger fighter eventually forcing the corner to throw in the towel.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:33 pm

Barrera vs Hamed.
Mayweather Jr vs Ortiz.
Thompson vs Haye.
Morales vs Maidana?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:40 pm

morales maidanas a funny one. even though it seemed like a foregone conclusion at the time and even though morales didnt win the fight he won overall and taught maidana a thing or two!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:44 pm

Julio Ceasar Chavez v Andy Holligan. Holligan was unbeaten, but went to Mexico to fight arguably Mexico's greatest ever fighter. He looked petrified and took a systematic, although expected, beating. I think Chavez could have put him away earlier but held him up to give his adoring public some rounds. Funnily enough, I think JCC lost to Randall very shortly after this.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

Mayweather vs Ortiz had the feel of man vs boy, Ortiz looked way out of his comfort zone.

Also I think most people feel like a small child about to get a hiding when they step in the ring with either of the Klitschko brothers, the magnitude of the task ahead seems to hit them as they touch gloves.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:51 pm

i think ortiz seemed up and ready for it... not out of his comfort zone but being outclassed with a few moments along the way.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

I think his ridiculously obvious intentional headbutts was him looking for a way out honestly. He didn't seem very upset at the end either when most people would be livid with how it finished.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

Ortiz's problem is that he'd been knocking around with De la Hoya too much. Seems more interested in being a 'personality' rather than doing great things in the ring.

True, everyone has different ways of dealing with things, but his attitude, persona and comments after that fight baffled me to say the least. He just didn't seem in the least bit bothered that he'd lost his world title, and nor did he seem too annoyed that it was complete idiocy which had seen him knocked out in such a manner.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

Is Tyson vs Michael Spinks valid? Spinks looked beaten before he even entered the ring

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:09 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Barrera vs Hamed.
Mayweather Jr vs Ortiz.
Thompson vs Haye.
Morales vs Maidana?

Thompson vs Haye? For real? Haye panned him senseless during that fight, and only someone with the cast iron chin and resilience of Thompson could withstand that. Haye taught himself a lesson i.e. the gassing, I wouldn't say it was Thompson that did.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:10 pm

bhb001 wrote:Is Tyson vs Michael Spinks valid? Spinks looked beaten before he even entered the ring
I think that was more LHW vs HW.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
Mayweather Jr vs Ortiz.
Thompson vs Haye.
Morales vs Maidana?

Thompson vs Haye? For real? Haye panned him senseless during that fight, and only someone with the cast iron chin and resilience of Thompson could withstand that. Haye taught himself a lesson i.e. the gassing, I wouldn't say it was Thompson that did.
You could argue it was experience vs youthful exhuberance.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

Foreman v Cooney had that look to it, as did many of Foreman's more one sided outings.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:
Mayweather Jr vs Ortiz.
Thompson vs Haye.
Morales vs Maidana?

You could argue it was experience vs youthful exhuberance.

That I'd agree with.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:04 pm

bhb001 wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Hagler v Sibson.

Excellent summary and was the one that came to mind immediately for me. Sibson was an excellent fighter, but beaten by a legend
Sibson's next fight after Hagler was a perfect example of "man v boy". He fought the unbeaten John Collins who was rated as a up and coming fighter by the American boxing media. Sibson demolished Collins in two rounds.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:25 pm

Lennox Lewis vs Michael Grant springs to mind. Lewis had been champ a while by the time Grant came along. He was a big and relatively effective unbeaten fighter from the US being hyped up as the next big thing by many people.

2 rounds and 4 knockdowns later we found out how good he was. It really wasn't fair. Whistle

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:29 pm

Calzaghe vs Lacy, enjoyed it all the more as a lot had Lacy as the favourite leading up to the fight.

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:41 pm

Lemieux recently, when he lost his '0' was in a bit of a 'man vs boy' situation. His opponent...I think it was Rubio expected Lemieux to come out firing on all cylinders trying to blast him out. Once Lemieux had shot his bolt Rubio finished him off. Not a pectacular example of the subject, but not bad.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 7:00 pm

Hagler v Sibson is a good call.....due mainly to Sibson believing his power could take anybody out and neglecting to train properly...Soon realised he was folly in neglecting his responsibilities..beautiful performance..

However will add I saw Sibson against Collins and Don Lee and have respect for this guy and like other Brits including Colin Jones... feel that they'd be world champions if they were born ten or more years later for sure!!

Obviousy the greatest example of Man v Boy..is Honeyghan-Starling....

Shockingly one sided where a guy shows such little respect that he walks in... throws tons of arm punches whilst leaving himself wide open against a canny old pro with a solid defence....

Anyone who saw that fight would be astonished it was HONEY who was defending his belt..

Amateur night!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 7:20 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Lennox Lewis vs Michael Grant springs to mind. Lewis had been champ a while by the time Grant came along. He was a big and relatively effective unbeaten fighter from the US being hyped up as the next big thing by many people.

2 rounds and 4 knockdowns later we found out how good he was. It really wasn't fair. Whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpdGFK_mqZI

Having just watched it I've got to agree, absolutely spectacular heavyweight boxing, really demonstrates how dire the division and boxers are nowadays.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 02 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

Riddick Bowe v Herbie Hide,Bowe said everytime he hit Hide,Hide made girl like sounds whatever that means.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 03 Nov 2011, 6:25 am

Atila wrote:Excellent summary and was the one that came to mind immediately for me. Sibson was an excellent fighter, but beaten by a legend
Sibson's next fight after Hagler was a perfect example of "man v boy". He fought the unbeaten John Collins who was rated as a up and coming fighter by the American boxing media. Sibson demolished Collins in two rounds.[/quote]

Without any trace of sarcasm at all, it is this sort of tidbit of information that keeps me coming back to 606v2. Obscure fact, but a very interesting one from a person with real passion for the game about an era that I really enjoyed. Thanks for sharing this one

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:37 am

You and me both, bhb.

I had no idea, either, that Sibson had tamed a young prospect in Collins immediately after the Hagler fight.

Thanks for that one, Atila.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:56 am

HumanWindmill wrote:You and me both, bhb.

I had no idea, either, that Sibson had tamed a young prospect in Collins immediately after the Hagler fight.

Thanks for that one, Atila.

did i read that right? something that windy DIDNT know?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 03 Nov 2011, 9:02 am

You're far too kind, Alex.

I learn an enormous amount about boxing from the members here.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Nov 2011, 6:27 pm

Larry Holmes v Marvis Frazier

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 04 Nov 2011, 3:22 pm

I thought Wlad vs Haye had the man vs boy thing going on. It was like school teacher snatches iphone off unruly pupil, pupil tries to snatch it back only to fall to the floor, much to the amusement of his classmates.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 04 Nov 2011, 4:26 pm

My initial reaction while watching Floyd Mayweather vs Gatti was Man vs Boy. It wasn't even the superior skill - it was just a case of Mayweather looking like he had done it all before - timing especially.

Just like Thorpe and Inzamam on top form, all the time in the world and putting it where they wanted it.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 04 Nov 2011, 4:40 pm

Sonny Liston vs Floyd Patterson

Patterson was a class act, in and out of the ring...A true gentleman

Cus knew Patterson would not beat Liston and discouraged Floyd from fighting him but Patterson stuck to his word like the great champion he was and fought Liston.

In both fights Liston brutally knock out Patterson in the 1st round...A Man vs Boy Scenario

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum