The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MotoGP records

5 posters

Go down

MotoGP records Empty MotoGP records

Post by Demon Racer Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:35 pm

Hey guys forum newbie here with a quick question. Whenever MotoGP records are mentioned, why is Rossi said to be the record title winner in the Premier class? Agostini won 8 titles compared to Vale's 7. If I've made a mistake please correct me guys. Thanks.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

MotoGP records Empty Re: MotoGP records

Post by Belgarion of Riva Tue 25 Oct 2011, 11:57 am

Not sure about what you posted mate. Agostini's considered a fantastic racer and a lot his titles were won on the best bike available. Agostini was before my time but I've watched Rossi from his first day in the sport and he is a unique talent.

Rossi has won 9 titles in all classes, 7 at the top level, a 125cc title and a 250cc title.

People regard Rossi as the greatest because of his ability on track and his ability to develop a motorbike as well as make a dog of a bike work on race day. It's been tough going on the Duke this year but Vale will sort it out.

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:12 pm

Ok thanks for clearing that up mate

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Tue 25 Oct 2011, 8:28 pm

Statistically Ago has won more titles in the top class since he has eight Premier class wins to Rossi's seven .He also won 5 or 6 350 world titles so he has more world championships as well .Rossi has more top class GP wins.Ago was a great TT rider as well
Stats dont tell the full story and magnificent a racer/ rider Ago was it was easier to do both series and the TT back in the day
Most who have seen both(and I only caught the tail end of Ago's career) regard Rossi as the greatest of all time and I share that view
To contrast styles Ago was super smooth (more Lorenzo like as a modern comparison) Vale more unorthodox, risk taking
Not sure if that helps

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Wed 26 Oct 2011, 8:54 am

skidd1 wrote:Statistically Ago has won more titles in the top class since he has eight Premier class wins to Rossi's seven .He also won 5 or 6 350 world titles so he has more world championships as well .Rossi has more top class GP wins.Ago was a great TT rider as well
Stats dont tell the full story and magnificent a racer/ rider Ago was it was easier to do both series and the TT back in the day
Most who have seen both(and I only caught the tail end of Ago's career) regard Rossi as the greatest of all time and I share that view
To contrast styles Ago was super smooth (more Lorenzo like as a modern comparison) Vale more unorthodox, risk taking
Not sure if that helps

Excellent post, sums both riders up perfectly

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:42 pm

Cheers for clearing up my question guys.

One final question, are riders still allowed to enter two different classes as Ago could? Could Vale enter Moto2 and MotoGP?

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 26 Oct 2011, 8:42 pm

Demon
I suspect there is no rule explicitly preventing it - Freddie Spencer was the last rider to be champion of two classes (250 and 500cc) in about 1985. I think though the demands on the riders are too great now to make it viable.

Just a further point that should be clarified - the Isle of Man TT was a World Championship event in Ago's era, and had a status a bit like the Monaco grand prix now in F1. Unfortunately, it was just too dangerous and the main riders (led by Ago following the death of one of his friends) started to boycott it in the early 70s.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 8:54 pm

They could at a push but the last rider to do that was Freddie Spencer.
Spencer was as mercurial a talent as the young Rossi but sort of burnt out.Lots of suggestions why but i think it was the pressure etc.Spencer was the first rider I saw to 2 wheel drift .Hugely underrated perhaps cos he was a bit of an strange guy off track as well( god fearing etc) Nothing wrong with that but strange in the the testesterone based world of bike racing.
Guess its better that the other classes are the feeder ones for the blue riband one .

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:40 pm

Your argument about whose the best Rossi or Ago is a bit flawed as the best of the lot was Hailwood who won championships at 125,250, 350, and 500 often in the same season. Don't forget he was racing in the era where tracks were nowhere near as safe as they are now,tyres weren't as sticky and riders often rode in up to ten races in the course of a day at a short circuit meeting often on totally different machines. The TT was then one of Champion rounds,I couldn't see any of the present day riders hurtling round the Island for two hours in the rain.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Wed 26 Oct 2011, 10:32 pm

rapidringsroad wrote:Your argument about whose the best Rossi or Ago is a bit flawed as the best of the lot was Hailwood who won championships at 125,250, 350, and 500 often in the same season. Don't forget he was racing in the era where tracks were nowhere near as safe as they are now,tyres weren't as sticky and riders often rode in up to ten races in the course of a day at a short circuit meeting often on totally different machines. The TT was then one of Champion rounds,I couldn't see any of the present day riders hurtling round the Island for two hours in the rain.
Hailwood won 9 World titles. 3 x 250cc, 2 x 350 cc and 4 x 500cc. He achieved the 250 cc and 350 cc double in 1966 and 1967.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:33 am

Demon Racer wrote:Cheers for clearing up my question guys.

One final question, are riders still allowed to enter two different classes as Ago could? Could Vale enter Moto2 and MotoGP?

Too many commitments will prevent this now. Also some of the larger riders would struggle to get on a 125s. Moto2s maybe.

I remember when Rossi was on a 125 and was growing, his legs were sticking out all over the place. It's a shame the 125s are being phased out. Some great memories.

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down