The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm now going the Bubba Watson route . . .

+2
Maverick
Mercurio
6 posters

Go down

I'm now going the Bubba Watson route . . . Empty I'm now going the Bubba Watson route . . .

Post by Mercurio Mon 24 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

by starting to shape my driver tee-shots rather than try and hit every shot straight.

I had a bit of a Eureka moment during Saturday's round and it wasn't long before I realised shaping was a less riskier option.

Yesterday, I played most of my drives left-to-right and it really helped to keep me out of trouble. Beforehand, I was someone who always tried to hit soft draws and when they didn't come off, I was usually in the clart. Fades/Cuts are far easier to execute so I'm going to make that my stock tee-shot. I'll lose about 20-30 yards but I'll be in more control.

Do you low-handicappers on here do similar?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

I'm now going the Bubba Watson route . . . Empty Re: I'm now going the Bubba Watson route . . .

Post by Maverick Mon 24 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

its called playing the percentages and a soft fade is far more controllable than any draw!.

i always play my iron shots with a soft cut easier to control distance and makes the ball land softer which is ideal for attacking pin positions. my driver however i will look to shape the ball to the hole if i use it that is! i must use a drive no more than 3/4times a round normally soft cut 3wood for postion

Maverick

Back to top Go down

I'm now going the Bubba Watson route . . . Empty Re: I'm now going the Bubba Watson route . . .

Post by hend085 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

agree entirely with this. the only shape i cant hit is a straight line!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:20 pm

I have that Bubba power-fade down pat. Trouble is it rears its ugly head when I least expect it!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

I've pretty much got my driver to either hit it straight, or draw. Very occasionally it'll hook if I make a bad swing at it. It does mean that I can take the right had side of the course out of play from the tee though.

Not so clever on dog legs to the right, but I guess I have to accept that in return for never being in trouble on the right.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:25 pm

For the last few years I have hit a consistent draw off the tee with my driver. However when I got a bit tight or a bit quick this had a tendency to become a bit of a snap hook (or when I thought about that at the top of the back swing the old double cross block right). Recently changed my clubs and went for a driver and shaft that would encourage a slight fade (the taylormade superfast 2.0 TP- a weight in the toe end plus sits slightly open at address) Hitting it so far I have been consistently getting a gentle fade, but still excellent distance. It will take some adjustment as I will now just have to see my tee shots from left to right however I will be much happier as it is the safer, more controllable option. My playing partners will think I'm crazy as they were quite envious of my power draw!!

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down