The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The PM's strategy corner: How to beat a moonballer

4 posters

Go down

The PM's strategy corner: How to beat a moonballer Empty The PM's strategy corner: How to beat a moonballer

Post by polished_man Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm

Dear fellow posters

With this thread I intend to start a series of articles aimed to explain to a wider audience the most advanced strategies and tactics of the game. Let's start with one of the most common challenge for the amateurs: moonballing!

It is very difficult to beat a moonballer in tennis. This is a person who hits a high deep ball in response to almost any ball you hit. They will run the hell out of you and leave you senseless in a dark and forogotten corner of the changing room wondering why you have ever started to get into tennis, if you don't take the necessary countermeasures.

There are plenty of moonballers at the national level, so don't think it is going to go away just because it is no longer in fashion in your club. You recognize them because they usually don't talk to you before the match, they usually look at you fiercely holding a grim smile on their face, as if to say: I can't wait......

For counter the moonballers, you must follow rigorously all these tactics:

1. Don't get sucked into moonballing back. It isn't your game and you haven't been hitting thousands and thousands of balls so it will be hard to win that way.

2. Attack at net. Make sure you hit a good approach. So if you plan on trying to divert this kind of player, you really need to work on your net game and overheads.

3. Take the ball out of the air. Again, requires a lot of practice, but that is why you need to practice it so much. Bring the opponent up to net with short slice shots. Make sure they are low slices though.

5. Vary the pace. High lobs to the backhand, and then slice, then topspin, then underspin; change the pace.

Hope this will help!

polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

The PM's strategy corner: How to beat a moonballer Empty Re: The PM's strategy corner: How to beat a moonballer

Post by laverfan Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:56 pm

Fantastic insight. A budding tennis coach, perhaps LTA should reconsider it's current staff. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

The PM's strategy corner: How to beat a moonballer Empty Re: The PM's strategy corner: How to beat a moonballer

Post by polished_man Sun 23 Oct 2011, 1:24 pm

Absolutely my friend! If I could I would go for the Russian Tennis Federation, but clearly would not rule out a priori any involvement with the Lawn Tannis Association, should they decide to turn their fortune around.......
polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 23 Oct 2011, 1:51 pm

I remember a guy I used to play who was a real moonballer who hated to lose (very competetive - an ex-golf pro, if I remember correctly). Played him three years running in the club knock-out tournament - he won the first two and it was just so damn frustrating, because I knew I was a better player, I just got sucked into his tactics and playing his game. The third year was going the same way, a set and break down with 2 match points against. I saved those and somehow managed to win in the third. I was mightily relieved and he was mightily upset.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

These are absolutely the most annoying kind of players to play against. I had one match a few months ago where basically the outcome of every point was determined by me. I either would hit a winner/unreturned shot, or would make an error. I ended up losing after basically beating myself, and remember wanting to smack my smug opponent with my racquet (I didn't, before you all the police)! I don't know how moonballers get any enjoyment out of the sport; it can't be any fun just hoping your opponent misses on every point rather than actually trying to win it yourself, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:14 pm

chazfazzer wrote: it can't be any fun just hoping your opponent misses on every point rather than actually trying to win it yourself

It does require amazing retrieval skills, though.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down