The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howard Clark Commentary Skills (Use of the English language)

5 posters

Go down

Howard Clark Commentary Skills (Use of the English language) Empty Howard Clark Commentary Skills (Use of the English language)

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:49 am

I'm a fan of Sky's golf coverage, but Howard Clark's move from the course to the commentary booth is going my head in.

The only explaination I can thing of is his brain lags his mouth by about 1 second.

Is anyone else as frustrated or is it only me?

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Howard Clark Commentary Skills (Use of the English language) Empty Re: Howard Clark Commentary Skills (Use of the English language)

Post by JPX Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:06 am

He's about as annoying as Darren Gough on TalkSport, who always says "what" when he should say "that"..........."them fans what go every week, what buy a ticket and that" censored

In my experience Clark is an arrogant so and so away from the microphone too, not a nice bloke at all.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Howard Clark Commentary Skills (Use of the English language) Empty Re: Howard Clark Commentary Skills (Use of the English language)

Post by Maverick Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:31 am

Don't mind Howard. It's Riley I can't stand, or even when the Golf channels coverage takes over from sky's own broadcast is Gary McCord

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:52 pm

It was said of Howard Clark many years ago by a fellow pro " that he had a perfectly balanced swing becuase he had a big chip on both shoulders".

To be honest, I recall he was worth watching as a player but not worth listening to as a commentator.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:14 pm

It was interesting when Clark, said that Faldo approached his caddy, to work for him, without even telling Clark what was going on (think it was franny)
He said when he spoke to Faldo about it, he just shrugged his shoulders, so no love lost between them two

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Oct 2011, 5:16 pm

Don't know very much about Howard Clark beyond following him at a couple of Ryder Cups, but his hole-in-one at the 11th at Oak Hill against Peter Jacobsen in 1995 was arguably the biggest shot towards winning the Cup for Europe. Never mind that he looked away having struck the ball fearing the consequences of a perceived mis-hit!
Was standing close by but didn't see it, only heard it!
Lots of crucial shots obviously and absolutely thrilling for those lucky enough to be there. So, for that alone, Clark gets a free pass with me. Until I hear him in the Commentary Box apparently!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 5:41 pm

Kwini,

As I said I liked to watch him play. When he walks the fairways for Sky then he is pretty good as he has played at the highest level and can explain the shot, options etc.

But when he is in the booth and only seeing the same pictures as we see, then he is hopeless most of the time.

He starts a line of conversation then contradicts himself in the same sentance without acknowledging the mistake. A couple of examples I recall form the Dunhill.

One of the players playing 18th par 5 at Kingsbarns. Picture shows the player hitting a dead straight 3 wood. "He has started that one on the perfect line (pause) but it finished well left of the green".

I think it was Rory playing 16th on Sunday. Rory hit his tee shot left to avoid the fairway bunker. As always at St Andrews left is the safe line but gives the harder approach. "Rory has the perfect line for his approach at 16 (small pause as the pictures show the angle from behind the pin) except he is coming over the greenside bunker and the downspole from the bunker to the pin."

Sorry - just a small thing that niggled. Just as well I normally catch-up on the golf late afternoon or evening with X6 on Sky+ and miss most of his comments.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down