The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopkins Interview - 11/9 & Trinidad

+2
ONETWOFOREVER
Scottrf
6 posters

Go down

Hopkins Interview - 11/9 & Trinidad Empty Hopkins Interview - 11/9 & Trinidad

Post by Scottrf Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:44 pm

"It's hard to believe 10 years have passed since that battle at Madison Square Garden that ended with an upset knockout and chants of "U-S-A! U-S-A!". And it's every bit as hard now to believe that Hopkins was thought, at age 36, to already be an "old" fighter. Now the light heavyweight champion of the world at age 46, Hopkins is still making history, just as he did in handing the great "Tito" Trinidad his first loss that night.

The Trinidad fight was originally scheduled for September 15, 2001, so Hopkins was already in New York on that fateful day that changed our world.

"Ten years ago on September 11," Hopkins remembers, "I was running early that morning in Central Park. The next thing I know people were hollering that a plane had crashed into the tower. Everything changed after that."

Hopkins' grief on a human level was mixed with uncertainty on a professional level. He was unsure whether the fight would happen and, if so, when? He headed home to Philadelphia to feel safer and be closer to his family. He also set-up camp in downtown Philly and kept training, staying in is fight mindset despite the emotions swirling around him.

"Once I heard the fight would take place on September 29, I stayed in Philadelphia as long as I could," Hopkins recalls. "Riding back and getting closer to New York, I felt different. There was still an unsettled and eerie feeling that we were going to fight. I just had to block that out of my mind and stay focused on being ready for one of the biggest opportunities of my career.

Hopkins continued, "The Trinidad fight was important for many reasons. It was for the unification of the middleweight championship. But it became much bigger after 9/11. By having the fight two weeks later on the 29th, I think we were sending a message, through the fight, that America would not be bullied around and we have a resolve that is unmatched by any other country in the world. I remember the politicians and leaders saying that we should show our strength and keep living our lives. I think the fight helped people start that process.

"I remember being in the arena that night and seeing the service people of New York, the policemen and firemen, who we dedicated the fight to. I felt that responsibility of

representing our country, fighting as hard as I could, and most importantly, capturing the undisputed middleweight championship of the world. The fact that this fight is now part of my story makes me feel proud of what I have accomplished. I believe my story is a true American story. I will never forget that experience as long as I live."

That victory made Hopkins the undisputed middleweight champion and he went on to break the records for longest reign and most successful defenses at 160 pounds. A decade later, Hopkins is in the midst of his second reign as 175-pound king, preparing for a demanding defense against top contender "Bad" Chad Dawson on October 15 at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View®.

The world has changed in countless ways since the events of September 11, 2001. But one thing that hasn't changed, amazingly, is the "world champion" status of the living legend Bernard Hopkins."

Boxingscene

Last edited by Scottrf on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Hopkins Interview - 11/9 & Trinidad Empty Re: Hopkins Interview - 11/9 & Trinidad

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:52 pm

I wonder how he would feel about America's resolve if he knew it was an inside job? Anyway he was not to know at the time. I remember the fight well because of what happened on 9-11 and it was right to move it because it showed boxing was just a sport and there were more important things happening in the world.

Its not un-patriotic to question you're own government.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Hopkins Interview - 11/9 & Trinidad Empty Re: Hopkins Interview - 11/9 & Trinidad

Post by Commander Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 pm

Isn't Bernard a Moslem? If so, I am surprised he hasn't been lynched already. Braveheart

Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Attracted the muppets with this then.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:00 pm

Bernard is from Philly which is on the east coast as is New York. I think he was responding to an attack on his neighbourhood.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:47 am

This is the most articulate Hopkins has been for a long time. I can understand his patriotism at the time and good luck to him against Chad

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Excellent stuff from Bhop who can be a bit daft in his interviews at times. Like the article points out it's 10 years ago that people were saying he was old and would get caught out soon.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Scott, I've just noticed that you've written it as 11/9. Nice touch. Smile Personally I think Hopkins makes a few interesting statements, but frankly this issue has been done to death. There's a stock response to this event, and that's the one we're presented with most often. It might not be a bad idea of the US to contemplate the adage that 'we reap what we sow'.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Dawson isn't training with Emanuel Steward any more he's working with John Scully now. Seems strange Hopkins pointed out Steward as a big factor in the fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:25 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Scott, I've just noticed that you've written it as 11/9. Nice touch. Smile
British site.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down