The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prediction time for round one of the pool matches!

+5
rodders
BlueNote
HQ matt
bedfordwelsh
Biltong
9 posters

Go down

Prediction time for round one of the pool matches! Empty Prediction time for round one of the pool matches!

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:01 pm

This weekend sees the first 8 matches of the pool rounds for the 2011 rugby world cup.

New Zealand vs Tonga.
These two teams have met each other 3 times before with New Zealand winning all three.
The average points difference NZ + 74
Their last meeting on 24 October 2003 with New Zealand winning 91–7
It seems Graham Henry is not practicing what he has preached, although not the biggest opponent they will face in the pool rounds, it does not seem that he is going to be sticking with the same players.
My prediction NZ by 56

Scotland vs Romania
They have met 12 times with Scotland winning 10 and Romania winning 2
The average points difference is Scotland + 23
Their last meeting was on 18 September 2007 with Scotland winning 42 – 0
Scotland has been quietly building for the world cup and with the last victory Romania had over Scotland in 1991, The Scots should feel pretty confident in getting off to a good start.
My prediction Scotland by 30

Fiji vs Namibia
They have only met once before with Fiji being comfortable winners.
Their only meeting was on 1 October 1999, with Fiji winning 67-18
Although Fiji did not impress against New Zealand in their warm up match, the physicality of the Fijians will be too much for a Namibia team who struggled in the local South African competition, losing all their matches.
My prediction Fiji by 35

France vs Japan
They have met twice before with France winning both matches.
The average points difference is France + 17
Their last meeting was on 18 October 2003, with France winning 51-29
Japan has won the Pacific Nations cup earlier this year and will be fancying their chances to run the French close, but I fear the French will win quite comfortably.
My prediction France by 25

England vs Argentina
These teams have met 15 times with England winning 10, Argentina winning 4 and 1 draw
The average points difference is England + 9
Their last meeting was on 14 November 2009, with England winning 16-9
England has had some success in their warm up matches in contrast to Argentina having only had one match against Wales, but then we all know the passion the Argentinians bring with them to world cups. This match in my opinion is not a forgone conclusion.
My prediction England by 10

Australia vs Italy
These teams have met 13 times with Australia winning all 13 matches.
The average points difference is Australia + 22
Their last meeting was on 20 November 2010 with Australia winning 32-14
Australia has won the Tri Nations for the first tie in a decade, Italy on the other hand has pushed some good teams very close during the Six Nation including a win over France, I fear Italy will be too one dimensional to handle Australia, but yet could give them a good run.
My prediction Australia by 25

Ireland vs USA
These teams have met 6 times with Ireland winning all 6 matches
The average points difference is Ireland + 35
Their last meeting was on 31 May 2009, with Ireland winning 27-10
Ireland did not have a good warm up, losing all their matches, but then USA did not do that well against Canada either. Ireland however will be far too strong for the USA.
My prediction Ireland by 30

The match up of the weekend.
SA vs Wales
These teams have met 25 times with SA winning 23, Wales winning 1 and 1 draw.
The average points difference is SA +14
Their last meeting was on 13 November 2010 with SA winning 29-25
The Welsh had some success in their warm ups, and will feel very confident, as they always do. South Africa had a mish mash of a warm up with their first stringers only running out for two matches, one against Australia and one against New Zealand, they will be quietly confident.
According to reports the Wales players believe they are fitter, stronger and more physical than ever before, well the truth is any team going into the world cup is fitter, stronger, more physical and most definitely more focused.
My prediction SA by 10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Prediction time for round one of the pool matches! Empty Re: Prediction time for round one of the pool matches!

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

I feel the winners this weekend will be

N Zealand
Scotland
Fiji
France
England
Australia
Ireland
Wales (gone with heart not head0 Smile
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Prediction time for round one of the pool matches! Empty Re: Prediction time for round one of the pool matches!

Post by HQ matt Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:24 pm

well structured set of predictions here.

its a shame the pool stages have such a quality imbalance, but it will intersting to see how italy perform (dont expect them to challenge OZ) can they push tri nations sides as close as they have (consistently) begun to push teams in the 6 nations.

the average points diff between england and argentina is a good indicator of how close this fixture usually is. i am biased but i feel england are stronger than 4 years ago and argentina are weaker. i feel the margin you predicted is fair.

and finally.. you have correctly highlighted the game of the weekend. wales have definalty improved (professional era) as a test playing nation since 2003, their record agianst SA is poor but im certain that in recent years the winning margin has generlly been reduced and i expect a close game. if the score is close in the final 20 mins wales could make life very uncomfortable for SA. i feel that if SA play the way they did against NZ recently ie. powerful upfront, very clinical and keeping the opposition at a distance (on the score board) they will win comfortably.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm

"The Welsh ... will feel very confident, as they always do."

That's referring to the fans, not the players, right? It seems that part of the problem for Wales in the last couple of decades has been that the players often didn't genuinely believe they could beat quality opposition.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:44 pm

When it comes to our games I am ever the optimist but also am a realist. I am glad we have the Boks first up as opposed to last but even still every team player will have to be on top of their game for the full 80+ minutes.

It does seem we perform better as the underdog and you are right we not like the favourite tag but with 2 out 3 wins going into the WC they should at least have a degree of confidence.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

NZ V Tonga: NZ by 45
Scotland v Romania: Scotland by 12
Fiji V Namaibia: Fiji by 15
France v Japan: France by 25
Ireland v USA: Ireland by 8
Australia v Italy: Australia by 30
SA V Wales: Wales by 7
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

No England/Argentina Rodders?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

rodders,

I think the Irish will be very dis-appointed if they are only 8 points better than the States.

Yes they may be low on confidence but surely they are considerably better that America
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

All part of the Irish plan to let the Wallabies underestimate them. That Ireland vs Australia pool game might well be the highlight of the pool games for me.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:48 pm

Gees how could I forget Doh

England V Argentina: England by 20

BedfordWelsh I think the USA will be a lot more competitive than people are making out and are likely to give the performance of their lives on the 9/11 anniversary with EOS at the helm. I think it will be a tough day at the office for Ireland.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

The Irish better win by 30, that is my prediction on sportsguru
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

NZ by 26
Scotland by 12
Fiji by 20
England by 14
France by 32
USA by 4 - yes you saw it here first Shocked
Australia by 36
SA by 10 Crying or Very sad
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:36 pm

offload wrote:NZ by 26
Scotland by 12
Fiji by 20
England by 14
France by 32
USA by 4 - yes you saw it here first Shocked
Australia by 36
SA by 10 Crying or Very sad

Nah, you're just saying that to muck up my predictions. chin
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mrextreme Mon 12 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Round 2 predicions?
mrextreme
mrextreme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down