The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England XV Post 2011 World Cup

+13
greenandpleasantland
Manu's Boxing Coach
yappysnap
formerly known as Sam
Breadvan
Cumbrian
funnyExiledScot
red_stag
screamingaddabs
bathmad
majesticimperialman
HammerofThunor
robshaw4england
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

England XV Post 2011 World Cup Empty England XV Post 2011 World Cup

Post by robshaw4england Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:45 pm

As soon as the 2011 World Cup is over, England need to focus on giving experience to the next generation who will be able to challenge for the highest honours come 2015. There are some very solid foundations, with young players such as Ben Foden, Chris Ashton, Courtney Lawes, Dylan Hartley, Tom Croft, James Haskell, Toby Flood e.t.c already established internationals. I would like to see highly talented young players such as Chris Robshaw, Brad Barritt, Billy Twelvetree, Charlie Sharples given a chance at the highest level. Whilst the development of Manu Tuilagi in the centres alongside the very talented Dom Waldouck who will miss this world cup with an ankle injury would be a highly potent partnership, with power, pace and solid defence. Cipriani is a player who I would like to see back involved in the England set-up, however Owen Farrell is definitely one for the future. The back row combination of Haskell, Robshaw and Croft seems to have the perfect balance and I am very surprised Robshaw wasn't selected for the world-cup, I would love for Haskell to be given more game time for England at no.8...

Position - Name - Club - Current Age

15. B.Foden - Northampton - 26
14. C.Ashton - Northampton - 24
13. M.Tuilagi - Leicester - 20
12. D.Waldouck - Wasps - 23
11. C.Sharples - Gloucester - 22
10. T.Flood - Leicester - 26
09. B.Youngs - Leicester - 21

08. J.Haskell - Ricoh Black Rams - 26
07. C.Robshaw - Harlequins - 25
06. T.Croft - Leicester - 25
05. C.Lawes - Northampton - 22
04. D.Attwood - Bath - 24
03. D.Cole - Leicester - 24
02. D.Hartley - Northampton - 25
01. M.Stevens - Saracens - 28

16. A.Corbisiero - L.Irish - 23
17. R.Webber - Wasps - 25
18. T.Palmer - Stade Francais - 32
19. T.Wood - Northampton - 24
20. D.Care - Harlequins - 24
21. D.Cipriani - Melbourne - 23
22. M.Banahan - Bath - 24

Rest of the players in a 32 man squad - Joe Marler (Harlequins - 21) David Paice (L.Irish - 27) Louis Deacon (Leicester - 30) Luke Narraway (Gloucester - 27) Carl Fearns (Bath - 22) Joe Simpson (Wasps - 23) Owen Farrell (Saracens - 19) Billy Twelvetrees (Leicester - 22) Brad Barritt (Saracens - 25) Alex Goode (Saracens - 23)

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

England XV Post 2011 World Cup Empty Re: England XV Post 2011 World Cup

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:50 pm

I'd rather carrying on trying to have the strongest squad as possible.

There's no way Waldouck deserves it at the moment. All the rest are plausible but I reckon with would be Wood ahead of Robshaw at the moment. I also don't want anyone in who isn't getting a decent amount of game time with their club. It's unlikely that Allen will just get dropped so where is Twelvetrees going to play?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:31 pm

Do you honestly that Johnson will bring in Cipriani after the RWC?

Also if Haskell is going to be playing Ricoh Black Rams, then i cannot see him being part of the England set up.

I think either Barrit,or Goode will be the new partner with Tualaghi in the centre.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:56 am

He may have been playing there for Quins, but Robshaw is no 7.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:26 am

HammerofThunor wrote:I'd rather carrying on trying to have the strongest squad as possible.

Aye, me too. I think Johnson will continue to select the best available and gradually bring in youngsters (like he should). A maximum of three new players at any one time and ideally only one or two. If they prove themselves then you can start looking at another position, if they don't then try someone new out. The average age at the moment is 27, this seems about right to me for a world cup year. The only players we will really need to replace after the world cup are those we think might not make the next one - and even they can stay for a year or so if they're still the best.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

I'd imagine Sharples will replace Cueto and they will start replacing Tindall and Wilkinson. Probably:

09 Youngs
10 Flood
11 Sharples
12 Twelvetrees
13 Tuilagi
14 Ashton
15 Foden

20 Care
21 Goode
22 Banahan
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:46 am

What's all the hype about twelvetrees? I really don't get it (and I support Leicester). The guy looks like he could be good in the future yes, but he doesn't even start for Leicester at the moment! He *might* be good enough in a year or two and I hope he will be ready as soon as possible and all this hype is right, but he could also not kick on and never make it (like Cipriani and to a lesser extent Tait). If we chuck him in too soon we could damage him for years.

Allen has the 12 shirt at Leicester and should be ahead in the England pecking order. Barritt is playing well for Saracens. Unless 12T starts being the first choice 12 at Leicester he's not getting near the England team.

He does have a fantastic name, but I'm not sure this warrants his selection.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:48 am

Screaming, I'm making that assumption as he is in the Saxons ahead of Allen and Barritt so it would be logical to me that he will make the step up.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:54 am

The philosophy of the initial post is wrong. You should always just pick the strongest squad available. The future will take care of itself. Age should be completely irrelevant.

In addition, I thought it had been made clear in any case that no non-England based players would be selected after the WC, so the likes of Cipriani and Haskell are I think unlikely to feature.

Based on what we saw at the end of last season, and what we've seen in the warm-up games, I think the post-WC England side should look like this:

1.Sheridan
2.Thompson
3.Cole
4.Deacon
5.Lawes
6.Croft (c)
7.Wood
8.Easter
9.Youngs
10.Flood
11.Sharples
12.Barritt
13.Tuilagi
14.Ashton
15.Foden

16.Stevens 17.Hartley 18.Attwood 19.Robshaw 20.Care 21.Farrell 22.Armitage

The three "oldies" in the side are Sheridan, Thompson and Easter. My back-up to these three (in case of retirement/injury) would be Corbisiero, Paice and Narraway. I omit Tindall because he isn't the best 12 or 13 available, and I omit Moody because I don't think his body will last much past the WC, and his injuries are now becoming too disruptive.

The Saxons side would then look like this:

1.Mullan 2.Paice 3.Wilson 4.Botha 5.Day 6.Johnson 7.Saull 8.Narraway 9.Wigglesworth (c) 10.Myler 11.Banahan 12.Allen 13.Trinder 14.Moyne 15.Brown

16.Doran-Jones 17.Webber 18.Skivvington 19.Gaskell 20.Simpson 21.Goode 22.Ojo

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:56 am

I think Easter will lose out on merit post RWC. I think that Sheridan will have a fight on his hands too.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:59 am

red_stag wrote:Screaming, I'm making that assumption as he is in the Saxons ahead of Allen and Barritt so it would be logical to me that he will make the step up.

I certainly hope he will, but it's a big step. I suppose we will find out during the world cup. He should get some starts with Allen alongside him and maybe George Ford at 10. If that back line works well then things look very rosy for both Leicester and England.

I'm not saying 12T won't make it, just that a lot of posters have him nailed on to do it. To be fair, your post was more the one that broke the camels back so to speak after hearing how awesome he is too often!
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:01 am

Assuming Haskell isn't available, who is going to oust Easter? Crane is out with a long-term injury and I don't think Waldrom is a better player.

The best contender is Narraway, he probably has a decent shot.

Sheridan vs. Corbisiero will also be tight I think, but if Sheridan is fully fit, then he is the better starter. Stevens, Mullan and Marler are pretty strong challengers though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:01 am

I don't buy into it all that much myself. I am just looking at the set up.

Currently at 12:

England - Hape, Tindall
Saxons - Twelvetrees, Turner Hall

It would seem logical that they will move to senior team when Tindall goes.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

Haskell, Narraway and Waldrom to replace Easter.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:08 am

I'm obviously missing something. Haskell isn't available after the World Cup, he's playing in Japan and New Zealand for two years. Isn't that right??

You're probably right on the centres though. MJ does like to form an orderly queue, and doesn't often let something as pesky as form muddle his thinking. 12T doesn't even get in the Leicester 1st XV ahead of Allen, and Barritt was very good in the big games last season, and is exactly the sort of defensive leader England need between Flood and Tuilagi. Turner-Hall has been nothing other than "potential" for a couple of season now, and hasn't been the same player since Deano left. Still, great potential though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:14 am

This is always and exercise in predicting who you think might call it a day. These predictions are traditionally made on age. However, they can now be based on those players planning a payday abroad. The RFU have decided that those playing outside of England are going to ineligible for the national team.

This I would suggest probably rules Wilkinson out on two fronts. It may also rule out Delon Armitage who I’ve heard is planning to link up with his brother in Toulon.

I’m not saying these are all going to retire, just those I’d consider at risk of retiring/ being ruled out.

(Post WC ages)

Andrew Sheridan (32)- Possibly Age/ combined with past injuries

Steve Thompson (33) - Age
Le Mears (32) – Possibly Age

Simon Shaw (38) - Age
Tom Palmer (32) - Possibly age/ Playing Abroad

Lewis Moody (33)- Age/ injury record
Easter (33) - Possibly age.
Haskell (26)- Playing abroad

Wilkinson (32) - Playing abroad

Mike Tindall (33) - Age is a factor
Shontayne Hape (30) Age combined with potentially losing his place in the squad
Riki Flutey (31) Age combined with WC snub?

Mark Cueto (32) - Age.

Delon Armitage (28) - Possibly playing abroad

Now like I said, I’m not predicting all of these guys to retire, but it does highlight some significant areas that could become a concern.

No.8 is the obvious one. Hooker surprisingly could be one too. We’ve got a good long term replacement in Hartley, but there needs to be more depth. The same goes for fullback and centre. There also needs to be more options for the wing.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

No-one seems to have mentioned Lowe in the mix. Last season for Quins he played very well. Not heard much of pre-season, and they were soundly beaten by Ulster last week, so not sure how he's progressing.

The day I see Turner-Hall in an England shirt is the day I become King.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:40 am

Lowe is in the middle of a pack of outside centres that are knocking around the Saxons/ EPS fringe. A couple of whom need (and I suspect will) to step up in the next couple of years. In a way I’d argue that 13 is becoming a position of strength for England:

Manu Tuilagi (Leicester)
Henry Trinder (Gloucester)
Matt Tait (Leicester)
George Lowe (Harlequins)
Adam Powell (Saracens)
Dom Wauldouck (Wasps)
Jon Clarke (Northampton)
Dan Hipkiss (Bath)
Luther Burrell (Sale)
Elliot Daly (Wasps)

It is still the inside centre position that perplexes.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

I'd rather see Owen Farrell given the chance before Cips.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm

funnyExiledScot I was with you all the way in your squad selection until I saw;

"21.Farrel"

Personally I prefer my flyhalf to be able to do more than just kick, currently Farrel doesn't seem to be able to run an attacking backline. This may change after a season of guidance from Hodgson but right now I'd have Wilkinson, Hodgson, Clegg and Flood in the team ahead of him. He could be an excellent player in a couple of years but isn't at the moment.

Cumbrian, Mat Tait will play in the back 3 for Tigers and probabley on the wing at that. He doesn't have the physicality to play 13 with the tactics that Tigers use, he does have the vision and pace to come off his wing and scythe through the gaps that the Tigers centres create thoug.

Sheridan vs. Corbisiero will also be tight I think, but if Sheridan is fully fit, then he is the better starter.

Corbs is a great young prop but the friendlies have just proven that he isn't in the same league as a half fit Sheridan. He will probabley end up a better player but right now he needs to tighten up his scrummaging technique (Rowntree will see to that) and up his work rate (which will come with experience which he is getting).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

Players wo watch out for would be Guest coming through after Easter, check out how he plays while Easter is away. Could be our future 8.

Also Marler was in and around the squad and i assume will be back around the fringes again post WC.

Sharples and Robshaw again could come back in for the 6N's but I think Twelvetrees will be in the Saxons again next season.

Allan may well make the 6N's squad if he puts in the games during the WC, especially if Hape keeps being so hopeless. Even if he stays in we need another 12.

The only players I expect to leave post WC are Tindal/Moody/Shaw and Thompson. All for age or injury reasons and really i'd expect at least two of those to play in the 6N's.

With his good form pre WC and a possible good run during it will Haskall be kicking himself for his move to Japan? A last minute turn around perhaps and link up with Wasps? They could really use him now DWS is gone!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:49 pm

Farrell is miles ahead of Clegg. He has performed at a higher level and more consistently than Clegg. He has shown he has the mental temperament to cope in big games and guided his side to the premiership.

Pretty impressive for teenager despite his conservatism and that doesn't mean he cant run a backline.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:56 pm

But Farrel doesn't really do much except kick. Yes he's good at it but he's really not international quality.

Nore is Clegg, but he can spot a gap and offload at least (but not kick as well).

Really they are two very different players in two different styled teams. I wouldn't say Farrel was miles ahead though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

I would definitely, from what I have seen of Clegg he is barely consistent for 80mins and always seems to do something idiotic.

He can play some nice stuff but I don't think he has shown he can do the basics and not make silly mistakes for 80mins.

Farrell on the other hand has shown that, there have been many international fly halves who just do the basics very well such as Farrell.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

Farrell on the other hand has shown that, there have been many international fly halves who just do the basics very well such as Farrell. .

This is Farrel the international class all rounder that couldn't hold down the ten spot in the JWC because all he could do was kick?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

Farrell's inclusion in the AP final told more about Sarries game plan (keep it as tight as possible and play for penalties) as it did for their lack of confidence in a running option in the form of Goode (seems to be a relucatant 15 ala Foden but staying there). If Farrell was the great international fly half you claim he wouldn't have spent less than an hour in the ten position during the JWC. His passing game was laboured and inaccurate and he generally failed to utilise all the options around him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

I think you are putting words into my mouth there sam, he isnt a great international fly half and has to improve his game yes. But for me he has shown more potential to step up to international level than Clegg and you cannot take away his performances for Sarries at the end of the season which were very good.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

Question: is Stevens doomed to the bench due to versatility. Or can he make loose or tight head his own.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by greenandpleasantland Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

red_stag wrote:Question: is Stevens doomed to the bench due to versatility. Or can he make loose or tight head his own.

I think you've nailed it there Staggy....he will be the reserve prop due to his ability to cover both.
They won't start him at LH...they will start Sheridan there after the Ireland game and rightly too. On the TH he might displace Dan Cole but i think that the front row that started on Saturday will start against Argentina.

greenandpleasantland

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

Tactically he was good (helped massively by the brilliant kick chase of Sarries), defensively very good and his goal kicking in the final was excellent. There was no distribution and no use of the ball other than to kick, he showed no attacking intent and even less organisational skill. This continued in the JWC where he excelled at 12 once the pressures of organising an attacking backline was removed from his shoulders. Hodgson's arrival at Sarries is a master stroke by the board at Sarries as he will not only offer the team so much more from 10 but also be able to bring on Farrell.

Currently I'd say Clegg is a more well rounded player and was superb vs Munster at Thomond Park. He also showed up very well for the England Saxons. He is, however, slightly older so it's not a direct comparrison.

Question: is Stevens doomed to the bench due to versatility. Or can he make loose or tight head his own..

Whilst his scrummaging technique is still lacking, yes. Sheridan's injury concerns could maybe see him promoted but at the minute his all action loose play lends itself to cameo bench appearences as England prefer to strengthen the set piece by utilising better scrummagers in Cole and Sheridan. Sheridan is also very good in the loose.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:21 pm

Sam - extremely harsh on Farrell. His kicking game is extremely good, he has a solid temprament and his defense and tackling are excellent.

Many of the criticisms you make could have been levelled at Wilkinson throughout his career, and certainly the early part of his career.

There are other 10's in the Premiership with more attacking ability. Lamb, Geraghty, Clegg, Goode and Burns to name a few. But on form and actual achievement, Farrell deserves to be ahead of all of them.

You don't pick international 10's on the basis of potential and the odd glimmer of brilliance, you pick the guy who will deliver under pressure and has proven it. What will be interesting though is whether Hodgson comes straight in at 10 and Farrell drops to the bench. If that happens, then obviously Farrell can't really be considered for England.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Tactically he was good (helped massively by the brilliant kick chase of Sarries), defensively very good and his goal kicking in the final was excellent. There was no distribution and no use of the ball other than to kick, he showed no attacking intent and even less organisational skill.

I'm not sure you can criticise the fact that he delivered the Sarries game plan extremely well under pressure, and he certainly outplayed his more "expansive" rival for the England jersey on the other side. I'd also take issue with the comment "even less organisational skill". His defensive alignment and co-ordination with Barritt was excellent. If you mean the fact that he didn't sort his backline into a particularly threatening attacking shape, I don't think that blame rests entirely with him. Barritt and Goode (coming in as a second distributor) also have a role there. In any case, whatever he did, it was enough to win the GP final. I'm not sure the JWC is a particularly sound comparison to facing Leicester at Twickenham.

I do agree though that Clegg is a big talent, and if given the starting slot next season could easily jump Farrell.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Sarries like to rotate their squad a lot and I can see Farrell being asked to look after both Fly half and inside centre positions. I believe he played most of his rugby at inside centre up until last season.

So what about

10. Clegg
12. Farrell
13. Tuilagi

Wink
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:funnyExiledScot I was with you all the way in your squad selection until I saw;

"21.Farrel"

Personally I prefer my flyhalf to be able to do more than just kick, currently Farrel doesn't seem to be able to run an attacking backline. This may change after a season of guidance from Hodgson but right now I'd have Wilkinson, Hodgson, Clegg and Flood in the team ahead of him. He could be an excellent player in a couple of years but isn't at the moment.

Cumbrian, Mat Tait will play in the back 3 for Tigers and probabley on the wing at that. He doesn't have the physicality to play 13 with the tactics that Tigers use, he does have the vision and pace to come off his wing and scythe through the gaps that the Tigers centres create thoug.

Sheridan vs. Corbisiero will also be tight I think, but if Sheridan is fully fit, then he is the better starter.

Corbs is a great young prop but the friendlies have just proven that he isn't in the same league as a half fit Sheridan. He will probabley end up a better player but right now he needs to tighten up his scrummaging technique (Rowntree will see to that) and up his work rate (which will come with experience which he is getting).

Yeah I know, those positions will probably suit him better too. He'd still be a useful option at centre for England and Tigers if things went pear shaped though.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

You don't pick international 10's on the basis of potential and the odd glimmer of brilliance, you pick the guy who will deliver under pressure and has proven it.

No you pick the players that best fit the playing strategy you believe to be most efficient. If England wish to utilise a game plan that involves using the outside backs then Farrell is a poor choice. If England wish to go the ten man rugby route then Farrell will be an excellent choice. Whilst England wish to play a wider game and utilise pace as well as power then Farrell would be a poor bench option.

I'm not sure the JWC is a particularly sound comparison to facing Leicester at Twickenham.

No but it is an excellent insight in seeing his capabilities outside of the Sarries enviroment. Sarries used a game plan that made the most of Farrell's talents, at international level he will not have a team strategy built around him he will have to be adaptable to the players around him. At the JWC he failed to do that and looked lost outside of the rigid organisation he is used to at Sarries. Remember at Sarries he has one of two experienced and tactically astute scrummies feeding the ball and taking quite a bit of responsability and then at inside centre he has Barritt organising the defence and kick chase. Sarries were very clever in how they set out to claim the title they were brutally efficient and Farrell clearly flourished. Outside of those systems I don't believe he will be anywhere near as effective, yet (he is only 19 after all).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:32 pm

I don't think it hurts really to have players in the squad that can handle a variety of styles of play. Obviously it's better to have individuals themselves that can be flexible, but failing that I don't think it necessarily rules out Farrell just because MJ decides (a big IF) that he wants the team to play more expansively.

As you say, Farrell is 19. Plenty time to develop his distribution skills and work on his footwork. Wilkinson had to go through exactly the same.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

He did but I was arguing against including Farrell post RWC. He will need to concentrate on retaining his place and improving his overall game before he is in a position to challenge for England, 2012 will be too soon to include him in the first team. I did acknowledge more than once his potential to be a top player, it's just that I disagree he has the requisite ability to play fly half for England at this moment in time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

I guess what we're really arguing over then is who the other candidates are that are better prepared and have demonstrated more than Farrell.

Hard to dispute Flood and Hodgson, but there's certainly a debate to be had over that third slot. Myler probably the next most experienced, but personally I think Farrell already the better player. I see you're a fan of Clegg. Personally I think he needs to win a starting slot first, something Farrell managed to do last season. Granted his performance against Munster was top drawer though, and did display a range of skills. Still, neither Clegg nor Farrell are going to get there on merit sitting on the bench, which they both may be resigned to next season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

I can't see either starting regularly for their clubs though hopefully both should get game time. Quinns go back to Evans at every available opportunity and Sarries have re-signed Hougaard as additional fly half back up to Hodgson. I was a bit disappointed by that, Hougaard is extremely limited and his inclusion in the squad will only further limit the opportunities of Farrell.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

Didn't realise they had re-signed Hougaard. That's daft, he's completely average.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Wed 31 Aug 2011, 6:51 pm

bathmad wrote:He may have been playing there for Quins, but Robshaw is no 7.

Why not? I'd say he's more suited to it than Haskell and Wood.

Robshaw4england

I'd say there are a few speculative ones in there. Waldouck looked promising but hasn't done much for a while (did he have a bad injury?), and based on Saxons selection I'd say the current management think a lot of Twelvetrees. Allen is an impressive and well-rounded player as well.

Cipriani and Haskell wont be available for England this season after the world cup. Cipriani has admitted recently that he has been 'out of control' at times and realistically he wont be allowed back into the England team until he proves to whoever is in charge that he has grown up a bit. On the post-Easter No.8 issue, maybe that guy Ben Morgan will choose to play for us. As far as I'm aware he's currently still only qualified for England, although he did turn down a Saxons call up this year (he says because he didn't feel in the physical condition to do himself justice).

I'm a big Robshaw fan (possible quins bias there), and would love to see him at openside. If he could justify consistent selection there he'd be a great captain in the long run as well. Did anyone else see O'Shea's interview in this week's Rugby Paper? I've never seen a coach so keen to lose his captain for a huge chunk of the season before.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Wed 31 Aug 2011, 6:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I guess what we're really arguing over then is who the other candidates are that are better prepared and have demonstrated more than Farrell.

Hard to dispute Flood and Hodgson, but there's certainly a debate to be had over that third slot. Myler probably the next most experienced, but personally I think Farrell already the better player. I see you're a fan of Clegg. Personally I think he needs to win a starting slot first, something Farrell managed to do last season. Granted his performance against Munster was top drawer though, and did display a range of skills. Still, neither Clegg nor Farrell are going to get there on merit sitting on the bench, which they both may be resigned to next season.

From a Quins perspective I can't see Clegg winning the starting shirt for another year or two yet. Farrell could easily keep hold of his this year though. Hodgson is a fantastic player obviously, but there are plenty of examples of young club guys keeping big names out of the starting side.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

Well if Farrell remains first choice FH for Sarries then he will be an England contender in 2012 as frankly given what has happened to Flood there may be an opportunity for a new FH to break in. The other possible is Burns if he does well as first choice at Gloucester, and if Clegg did get a run at Quins then he'd also be a possible. I'm not saying any of this will happen, but Flood has hardly inspired confidence recently.

And Allen doesn't have the bulk necessary to play IC at international level. Barritt is a possible if Sarries start moving the ball (Farell would also benefit from this). If Twelvetrees is playing regularly for Tigers I think he'll be called up.

Overall I think funnyexiledsquad is about right. The most immedidate concern is reserve 8's, although I suppose Narraway and Guest could probably both do a reasonable job. The door is definitely still ajar for Morgan, but if Fearns nails the Bath 8 shirt he'll be fast-tracked.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:32 am

The only positions that are in debate are :

Retirements:
Shaw
Moody
Thompson? See how he goes.
Tindall
Cueto

The others:

Inside centre needs sorting
Cuetos wing needs sorting
Loosehead needs finalised - Corbs, Stevens?
No8 needs sorted. Easter past it. Haskell abroad. So who?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:58 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:The only positions that are in debate are :

Retirements:
Shaw Attwood
Moody Robshaw
Thompson? See how he goes. More tricky
Tindall Number of potential options. Suspect that if Johnson is still around he'll go for Twelvetrees
Cueto Sharples

The others:
No8 needs sorted. Easter past it. Haskell abroad. So who?
Maybe Narraway. Maybe that guy Ben Morgan. Haskell will be back for the following season though.

Have added my suggestions in. Inevitably these things don't work out like you expect though.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm

Ben Morgan is not gonna play for England...Wales all the way.

Narraway is useful.

Fearns at Bath?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

The most immedidate concern is reserve 8's, although I suppose Narraway and Guest could probably both do a reasonable job. The door is definitely still ajar for Morgan, but if Fearns nails the Bath 8 shirt he'll be fast-tracked..

As GF says Morgan is gonna play for Wales.

Guest, will he get game time when Easter returns.

Same situation for Fearns, difference being Taylor isn't the greatest and is more likely to be deposed to the bench than Easter will be at Quinns.

Narraway should see lots of action, if he can stay fit he'll be involved.

Crane is out for the season but Waldrom will still be available and is roughly the same age as Guest offering a smilar level of dynacism.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

Below Easter we have Haskell, Waldrom, Crane, Narraway, Gray, Fearns and Guest who are all options at 8, but one of them really has to stand up and be counted. I think we'll get Easter to stay on for the 2012 Six Nations, try out a couple of players in the couple of Saxons games we play in February, then take Easter, Haskell and possibly 1 or 2 other 8s to South Africa, depending on who is on form.

Croft, Wood, Moody, Fourie, Robshaw and Easter will probably be our 6 back row in the Six Nations. We add Haskell and one other 8 (or possibly 2 other 8s and no Haskell) to that in our squad for South Africa. For the 2012/13 EPS we could end up with Croft, Wood, Haskell, Robshaw, Narraway and one other, which would be a positive selection moving forward.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:20 pm

Will Haskell be selected whilst playing in Japan though Robbo? He is there until the start of the 2012/13 season when he returns to Wasps. That would surely rule him out of the 2012 6N. Leaving Easter and Narraway the only two available 8s in the EPS Squads.

I'm not really a Narraway fan but I would like to see him given a game or two in the 2012 6N as he does lead Glaws well and it would be an idea to have a couple of options blooded more than once at international level should Easter get injured or decide to retire. I would say it is to early for Gray he probabley needs another season or two in the AP first with an opportunity or two in the Saxons.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

Narraway is a fantastic player. Strong, athletic, quick, good hands, and good leader. Just wish he played for Bath! Don't forget before injuries a couple of seasons back, he was the next big thing following performances in NZ. He's been playing back at that level for the last season, so expect him to be involved post-WC (that's if he hasn't permenantly annoyed Johnno with his non-selection tweeting!!).

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next