The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RGC 1404 to enter Division One East in 2012-13

+3
Cymroglan
Coleman
Shifty
7 posters

Go down

RGC 1404 to enter Division One East in 2012-13 Empty RGC 1404 to enter Division One East in 2012-13

Post by Shifty Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:11 pm

The WRU today outlined their plans for RGC 1404 - no Canadian involvement next season and entry in to Div One East in 2012 - read the full report below

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/northwalesrugbyunion/news/rgc-1404-to-enter-division-one-355442.html

The Welsh Rugby Union has voted to include the North Wales Regional Development team RGC 1404 in SWALEC Division One East for the 2012/13 season.

The decision is part of a review of the North Wales development project undertaken in order to ensure there is a sustainable model for the further development of rugby in north Wales.

The side will continue to play meaningful friendly fixtures this coming season, including matches against Principality Premiership clubs and other arranged fixtures.

As part of the further development of north Wales players, the following measures have been agreed:

- The WRU North Wales Academy will continue to be appropriately resourced and two more District Under 15 squads from the Region will be established, and will compete in the Dewar Shield tournament. This will increase the critical mass of players in north Wales vying for selection into the WRU North Wales academy. North Wales will continue to participate in the Regional Age Grade Championship at Under 16 and Under 18 level and further fixtures will be arranged for North Wales academy players.

- A General Manager for the RGC 1404 project will be appointed to drive the project forward and maximise commercial opportunities available within north Wales and provide a key link between the major stakeholders – the WRU, the North Wales Rugby Council and Conwy County Borough Council.

- There will be no Canadian involvement in the side for the forthcoming season. This situation will be reviewed during the coming season.

- The Welsh Rugby Union will provide further support to Conwy County Borough Council in the staging of events and the generation of rugby in the area.

- The fixed term contracts of the RGC 1404 coaching team have come to an end and an announcement will be made over the coming months regarding appointments for the new season.

WRU Head of rugby Joe Lydon said, “Great strides have already been made in north Wales rugby in the past two seasons, both on and off the field and we are constantly looking for ways to embrace the enthusiasm and professionalism of everyone involved in the game there.

“We know that the standard of rugby has risen in north Wales in recent years but we are conscious that the side now needs to test itself in a competition structure in order to be judged on merit against other sides hoping to progress up the rugby ladder in Wales.

Dai Davies, North Wales Rugby Council chairman said, “The North Wales Rugby Council, in conjunction with the WRU Executive believe the decision to include RGC 1404 in SWALEC Division One East for season 2012/13 will provide a new impetus for north Wales rugby, and a channel for players coming through the WRU North Wales Academy.

Cllr Graham Rees, Cabinet Member, Conwy County Borough Council said:

“We’ve been looking forward to hearing this news, it’s an exciting opportunity for the region’s players and I hope it will help to retain these talented young people in North Wales.”

“The Council is committed to working with the WRU and other national governing bodies of sport in Wales to create a centre of sporting excellence at Parc Eirias and making sure that the regeneration and economic opportunities that arise benefit the whole region.”
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

RGC 1404 to enter Division One East in 2012-13 Empty Re: RGC 1404 to enter Division One East in 2012-13

Post by Coleman Sat 13 Aug 2011, 8:33 am

This is great news. Give them a chance to prove them self in a strong league. With the possibility of promotion to the prem one day. Long trip up North that i think teams will enjoy. Mini tour during the season. Shame about losing the Canadians. Would have been better to see them slowly reduced.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

RGC 1404 to enter Division One East in 2012-13 Empty Re: RGC 1404 to enter Division One East in 2012-13

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

Well there is a hell of a lot of talent coming through up there!
I seem to recall them stuffing the Ospreys young teams last season.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm

It's taken a while but progress has been made. We have to search all of Wales for talent maybe then we will have quality strength in depth.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by welsh-matfield Sat 13 Aug 2011, 8:49 pm

this is really good news although a lot more work must be done to promote and expand the game in north wales. Potential however must be huge!! A population of nearly million nationalistic welsh people with hard work such as agriculture still a mainstray of the economy. The likes of James King (ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets) and of course George are just the beginning.

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm

Well with the Crusaders seemingly going to hell, and with Wrexhams gound now being owned by the local university, their is a chance a professional Union side could be set up there.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by dtnicoll Sun 14 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

Unfortunately Union currently seems to be a very Southern orientated sport in England, Wales and even Scotland. The reality is though there are a lot of great players around in the North and these regions are crying out for more teams.

The WRU should be looking to invest in a new club in the North, maybe turn the Crusaders into a Union side by utilising the current rugby infrastructure and fans in the area. The club could then be provided with financial assistance by WRU as well as receive special dispensation for signings, etc much like the Rebels in Super 15 to help get them on their feet.

Rugby Unions should also be looking to host more international and top end games in Northern cities. Currently London and Cardiff dominate the big domestic and international games. However, potential LV Cup matches and Internationals in stadiums such as Old Trafford may help improve fan support for rugby and help push it on to the nest level.

dtnicoll

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

Good news it's not the prem as hoped , but still a good place to grow and hope for Prem the year after or the one after that.

But wht East, would West not make more sense? What side are the other North Wales clubs on?

I think the ulomate aim is to have RCG1404 in the Celtic league, but if they get to the Prem and are constantly finish top 5, then a place in the Celtic League may be expected, However I wonder how fans of clubs like Pontypridd RFC will feel at RCG1404 going up will feel about this.

I hope that if/when RCG1404 get into the Celtic League, that not only rugby fans in north Wales support them, but all the Welsh rugby fans that feel disenfranchised by the regionalasition of Welsh rugby. They could become a big team that way, With the Valleys filled with RCG1404 tops.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:34 am

Kingshu - I imagine that they've been entered into the East league as transport links/roads are much better on the East side of the country than the west.

I would have liked them to be entered straight into the Prem with say 5-8 good Canadians, with an aim to reduce them over 2-3 years and maybe assistance from the WRU to loan other regions players who don't get gametime (Lawerence and the other hooker at Scarlets, Myhill?, Prydie and Phillips, Gavin Evans) and any Welsh players who can't find clubs.

The only (main) problem with getting disenfranchised Valleys fans on board is that if these fans feel disenfranchised by teams 15-30 miles down the road (rightly or wrongly, I feel rightly) and if the Ponty fans felt slighted when all the Warriors games were played in Bridgend then they are hardly likely to feel great warmth and support for a club at the other end of the country. Also I can't see them travelling a 100 miles or so up to Colwyn Bay to watch the team, especially if they feel Pontypridd is more deserving of a place in the CL than the North region.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:37 am

I can't see the disenfranchised Valleys fans, travelling either to support them, (maybe big games). But I do see them getting the shirts and watching them on TV etc.

The disenfranchised Valleys fans can't bring themselves to support the current regions due to the history between them and the clubs the regions/superclubs are based on, ( I can understand them not supporting what they see as Newport Cardiff llanelli and Swansea, but Rgc1404 are a regional side from the beginging, and should be able to rise above the club mentality)

However RGC1404 start with a clean slate, out of all the regions, the disenfranchised fans will not have a reason not to support them. Unless they take a grudge against them in the Prem, and getting to the Celtic League ahead of them (very possible), then they might just come up with a reason to hate all the regions. ( I can understand them not supporting what they see as Newport Cardiff llanelli and Swansea)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:01 pm

I hope it happens and feel the WRU should have added them to the new Prem wouldn't have needed to keep any other team out, merely added a new team and added the required investment over a given number of years.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down