The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THe Springboks sat in the classroom in rustenburg.

+3
yappysnap
TheGreyGhost
Biltong
7 posters

Go down

THe Springboks sat in the classroom in rustenburg. Empty THe Springboks sat in the classroom in rustenburg.

Post by Biltong Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

After dovetailing his duties to Western Province and the Springboks Defensive coach Jqcques Nienaber has now joined the Springboks ona full time basis until after the RWC.

“Defence was one of our biggest concerns last year and on the overseas leg but Jacques Nienaber is helping us out and his input has been excellent,” said Bok vice-captain Victor Matfield.

“The Stormers have been the top defensive side in Super Rugby for the past two years. There are not big adjustments that need to be made, it is about the players being prepared to trust and back each other. Most of it comes down to attention to detail. It is about the realisation that one little mistake can cost us, and that is why it is great to have experienced players in the side who are less likely to make mistakes.”

Flyhalf Butch James also lauded Nienaber’s input so far.

“The biggest thing he has brought is accountability in the sense that players are now accountable for defensive errors they make, for not being in the right place when they should be,” said James.

“He has made it clear that any mistakes will result in a sanction on the Monday. And it won’t be a case of just having to pay a fine or something like that, a player who is not in the right place and who is not aware of where he needs to be and what he needs to do on defence risks getting dropped for the next match.”

It is now clear that Rassie Erasmus has indeed been working with the Boks in Rustenburg on the tactical issues and the "finer details"

This is what Victor Matfield had to say.

“Where we went wrong last year was in our attention to the detail that is so important,” he said.

“We weren’t happy with the small details. In Rustenburg we spent a lot of time working out on the blackboard where we had to be after a kick, working on our maps, working on the finer details. We had our first contact against opposition in an opposed practice against the under-21s and it went okay, there are just a couple of small adjustments that need to be made.

“We feel well prepared and if we can get all our planning right for the day there is no reason why we can’t beat any other team and we are confident we will do well against the Wallabies on Saturday.”

There is hope on the horizon. Yahoo I hope Erm

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

THe Springboks sat in the classroom in rustenburg. Empty Re: THe Springboks sat in the classroom in rustenburg.

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm

Not sure about that approach:

"He has made it clear that any mistakes will result in a sanction on the Monday".

I've always though that the most successful sides play with a smile on their faces, rather than with a fear of getting a whipping afterwards if they Love sacks up.

Not sure how a culture of individual blame for defensive lapses will lead to "the players being prepared to trust and back each other.". Imagine you rush out of the defensive line to attempt an intercept pass, for example, and miss, and the opposition score from it. How many tries did Habana score from intercepts? do you think he'd try it if he got dropped from the team on the occasion that he missed one?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

THe Springboks sat in the classroom in rustenburg. Empty Re: THe Springboks sat in the classroom in rustenburg.

Post by Biltong Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

I think you are taking it too literally, it "could" come to a sacking, but surely if a player justifies what he has tried the outcome will be acceptable.

Question when was the last time Habana intercepted?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

Can't remember. Hadn't he been dropped for defensive lapses against NZ last year ? Ok!

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm

Don't players usually organise back up plans for intercepts and make sure they go for them at the correct time? There's the right time and wrong time to go for one.

Can't remeber who but one of the England guys rushed out and tried an intercept on the weekend, it was so lame i hope he got a whipping for it!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm

Hear what you're saying GG about fear, but then there is the other side of the coin about undroppable players.

For us I am thinking of Rocky and Pocock, and I am sure the boks have theirs. So maybe this is a way of shaking them up?

Sure I agree it is so much more fun for players to play a game in gay abondon, but at some stage they must get the basics right, and defence is the basic.

So I am saying I agree and disagree at the same time... known as sitting on the fence I believe....

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm

I don't think PDV has ever dropped him.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:35 pm

OzT, I understand what you are saying, Greyghost, I think the difference is on defense, you work within a system, and that system is only as strong as its weakest link.

Wher on attack you are an individual within a system, hopefully trying to create something.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 10 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

I think if you play in fear of making a mistake, it makes you hesitant. Hesitate in rugby, especially defense and it's game over.

There are better ways of building trust and getting everybody to understand their role and stick to it than by dropping players whenever they make a mistake.

Take the Ireland v Scotland game on the weekend as an example. The Irish defense lost their shape, someone left the line, someone else ran the wrong way to cover, collided with his team mate and left a yawning gap for the Scots player to run into a score. Otherwise the players involved had good games, surely it's better to build on the positives and talk the situation through as a team, work on composure and trust rather than dropping guys and beating guys with a stick.

OzT, I'm not suggesting anyone should play in gay bondage, that would just be weird.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 10 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

gay ABANDON!!!!

not bondage!! Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 10 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

OzT wrote:gay ABANDON!!!!

not bondage!! Smile

Maybe that's why he thought it would be weird. laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 10 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

Can't remeber who but one of the England guys rushed out and tried an intercept on the weekend, it was so lame i hope he got a whipping for it!.

I think that was Banahan in the first half. Was an attempted block of the pass more than an intercept. He would have been better smashing the guy looking to make the pass. More likely to put him off and if the guy passing is expecting a huge smash next time then they are more likely to make a mistake. On a tactical note as well it's better to tackle the guy making the pass because even if the pass goes through then it's receiving player vs your full back, if you go for the intercept and miss then it's passer and receiver in another two on one with your full back.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 10 Aug 2011, 5:02 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Can't remeber who but one of the England guys rushed out and tried an intercept on the weekend, it was so lame i hope he got a whipping for it!.

I think that was Banahan in the first half. Was an attempted block of the pass more than an intercept. He would have been better smashing the guy looking to make the pass. More likely to put him off and if the guy passing is expecting a huge smash next time then they are more likely to make a mistake. On a tactical note as well it's better to tackle the guy making the pass because even if the pass goes through then it's receiving player vs your full back, if you go for the intercept and miss then it's passer and receiver in another two on one with your full back.

That's another thing Sam, for all Banahans size i've never seen him lay down a marker on the opposition like Tuilagi at Leicester does; he regularly lines up the oppo and smashes them, but Banahan in international rugby just seems to not tackle.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 11 Aug 2011, 3:09 am

OzT wrote:Hear what you're saying GG about fear, but then there is the other side of the coin about undroppable players.

For us I am thinking of Rocky and Pocock, and I am sure the boks have theirs. So maybe this is a way of shaking them up?

Sure I agree it is so much more fun for players to play a game in gay abondon, but at some stage they must get the basics right, and defence is the basic.

So I am saying I agree and disagree at the same time... known as sitting on the fence I believe....

There are no undroppable players OZ.
I'd drop McCaw in a flash.
For God.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:20 am

nganboy wrote:
For God.

Poachers.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:29 am

I think it is important to read between the lines, rather than go "overboard" and take it too literally.

The way I read it, is that players must take responsibility and ownership of what they must do.

As I said earlier, defence is only effective when a team keeps to defensive patterns, otherwise what's the use of organising defences, whn some numpty decides to do his own thing.

When clearly explained you don't break the defensive line, it is a decision you take that creates risk for your team when you break the line, and thus nothing wrong with being accountable.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down