The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why did England play in the black strip yesterday??

+12
MBTGOG
Taylorman
Biltong
nottins
Notch
NewTraditionalHaka
Pal Joey
tomathy
Thomond
Ozzy3213
bedfordwelsh
majesticimperialman
16 posters

Go down

Why did England play in the black strip yesterday?? Empty Why did England play in the black strip yesterday??

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:41 am

I thought that the black strip was an away kit...Or one where the 2 kit's clash(the opposing team)

Will this kit be warn next week away to Wales, or was it just been put on show for the RWC?

Any idea's?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Why did England play in the black strip yesterday?? Empty Re: Why did England play in the black strip yesterday??

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:43 am

Apparently we are playing in Black next week so I have been informed.

Didn't even know we had a black dtrip, more money making by the robbing bar stewards at the WRU
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Why did England play in the black strip yesterday?? Empty Re: Why did England play in the black strip yesterday??

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:49 am

I'm pretty sure that I caught a glimpse of a memo between Johnno and the RFU and it had something to do with wind ups and some fella called Grey Ghost apparantly.

There was mention of they felt he had gone soft recently and they felt he needed to be given some ammunition for goading true blood Englishmen about the number of native Kiwis in the England team and them playing in black woudl assist him. It would appear that due to Johnno's own links to New Zealand that he feels some kind of affinity with the aforementioned GG.

Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:51 am

Have you heard of promoting a new kit?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

majesticimperialman wrote:I thought that the black strip was an away kit...Or one where the 2 kit's clash(the opposing team)

Will this kit be warn next week away to Wales, or was it just been put on show for the RWC?

Any idea's?

Historically if there is a clash in rugby it's the home team that changes.

In this case they were just advertising the new strip, although that was the only time we ever wear that kit I think. The one against Argentina doesn't have the big O2 logo on it.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:57 am

tomathy wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I thought that the black strip was an away kit...Or one where the 2 kit's clash(the opposing team)

Any idea's?

Historically if there is a clash in rugby it's the home team that changes.

In this case they were just advertising the new strip, although that was the only time we ever wear that kit I think. The one against Argentina doesn't have the big O2 logo on it.

No, but it has a small jaguar logo on the breast... and a 'Viva Los Gauchos - Steak Restaurant' sleeve sponsor, according to my source. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by NewTraditionalHaka Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:31 pm

Economy drive. Making sure they get some wear out of it. Sensible.

NewTraditionalHaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:34 pm

Because they figured out nobody bought any of the other change strips, seeing as they never played in them.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

Notch wrote:Because they figured out nobody bought any of the other change strips, seeing as they never played in them.

Have you got any proof to back that up ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

Maybe it was the New Zealanders in the team that really wanted to feel what it would have been like to play in All Blacks and knew once they were selected for England they would never get the opportunity so they were the actual instigators for wearing All Blacks.

But what do I know
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:19 am

Perhaps its because Black is warmer- absorbs more heat and light...might need it down here...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:30 am

nottins wrote:
Notch wrote:Because they figured out nobody bought any of the other change strips, seeing as they never played in them.

Have you got any proof to back that up ?

You can't be serious! Of course I don't have any proof... do you expect anyone on this thread to provide proof? Copies of e-mails between the RFU and Nike perhaps?laughing

Why do you think the design of professional sports teams strips is constantly changing, why England have brought out many different strips over the past five years?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:50 am

Notch wrote:

You can't be serious! Of course I don't have any proof... do you expect anyone on this thread to provide proof? Copies of e-mails between the RFU and Nike perhaps?laughing

Why do you think the design of professional sports teams strips is constantly changing, why England have brought out many different strips over the past five years?

So. You said England brought out a new strip because the other one wasn't selling, but can't provide facts to back it up. 🤦

The current Ireland away strip looks remarkably like an England shirt from a couple of years ago laughing Would you like to tell us why Ireland have brought out so many different strips over the last 5 years ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:37 am

nottins wrote:
Notch wrote:

So. You said England brought out a new strip because the other one wasn't selling, but can't provide facts to back it up. 🤦

The current Ireland away strip looks remarkably like an England shirt from a couple of years ago laughing Would you like to tell us why Ireland have brought out so many different strips over the last 5 years ?

Change of brand from Canterbury to Puma?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Mon 08 Aug 2011, 1:45 am

A quote from 'The Commitments'...

"We're black, and we're proud."

Whistle

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:49 am

Don't know if it was my Tele but cant see what all the fuss was/ is about as it appeared to be a dirty charcoal rather than the jet black of an AB shirt

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:54 am

I think England should switch it to their first strip. Can't see any reason why not.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:54 am

Rangiora wrote:Don't know if it was my Tele but cant see what all the fuss was/ is about as it appeared to be a dirty charcoal rather than the jet black of an AB shirt

In both england and New Zealands cases, both jumpers are very, very, very off white Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:58 am

Not sure why England played in it but Peter Jackson in the Rugby Paper is slating Wales for doing it this weekend. Odd as at least there is a precedent for Wales playing in black.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down