The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larry Holmes vs Lennox Lewis

+3
azania
Zeb the owl
Sugar Boy Sweetie
7 posters

Go down

Larry Holmes vs Lennox Lewis Empty Larry Holmes vs Lennox Lewis

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 17 Feb - 11:04

These two great heavyweights share many similarities. Both struggled for recognition early in their careers, both were sometimes accused of being dull. Yet both became the dominant men of their era, each with solid resumes including Norton, Ali, Shavers, Cooney, Ruddock, Holyfield, Tyson, Klitschko. Lewis would retire having beaten every man he fought, Holmes was at one stage 48-0 and defended the lineal title 12 times. They are both commonly regarded as top ten ATG heavyweights (although Larry more so than Lennox).

So who would win?

It's such a close one to call IMO. They both had excellent jabs, powerful right hands. Lewis had a tremendous uppercut, could this be offset by Holmes brutal will to win? Could that be offset by Lewis' size advantage?

I think it would be a technical affair, jabs and combos aplenty but not much brawling. This would probably see Lewis gain a points advantage early due to his reach and deceptive speed. But Larry was highly adaptable and could change his gameplan to rough it up if he was losing at pugilism - as we saw against Witherspoon - which he may have had to do against Lewis. Norton is a classic example of Holmes ability to go to the trenches, an area where he holds an advantage over Lewis and if he could take him there he could get a late win. It's close but although I, like most, rate Holmes higher overall I think Lennox would beat him by decision in a technical affair that would get rough later on.

How do you guys see this one going? And where do you rank both guys overall as heavies?

Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Larry Holmes vs Lennox Lewis Empty Re: Larry Holmes vs Lennox Lewis

Post by Zeb the owl Thu 17 Feb - 11:29

Only an occasional poster on 606, thought i would try to contribute a bit more on v2.

This one is a nightmare to call imo, two great fighters with great technique and quite hard to seperate them on most attribute, think lewis has a bigger dig but holmes has more resilience so could argue that these things would cancel each other out. I would pick Holmes in a very close decision but certainly wouldnt put any money on either outcome.

Zeb the owl

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 Feb - 11:42

Holmes all the way. I dont think it would be a very difficult fight for him in all seriousness. His jab was the best jab I have seen in heavyweight boxing and that includes Ali (my fav boxer of all time). He had tremendous footwrok and recuperative powers bar none. He would be too versatile for Lennox, too fast and too mobile.

Lewis was good, but hs poor footwork would be his undoing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by FEspo Thu 17 Feb - 12:06

New to the forum but old enough to remember both, a big fan of Lewis but see this going the way of Larry Holmes he has too much to offer. As mentioned most likely a quiet and technical fight with two of the great heavyweights, however a class ahead of what is on offer today, which is sad.

FEspo

Back to top Go down

Post by carefree Thu 17 Feb - 17:28

I actually think this fight (although on paper is ATG) would turn out to be a snooze fest and be a SD/MD either way.
Both fighters had a great jab and were both very confident in it so this is fought at range with almost every round impossible to call and since niether fighter thinks he is particularly far behind - neither goes for the kill.
IMO

carefree

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 17 Feb - 18:08

I wouldn't be surprised to see both men have fairly agressive moments. Lewis was only ever taken out by power punching sluggers, which Holmes isn't. He's a boxer with good power though. Lewis may want to take a chance against the smaller man and try to land that very discouraging right of his. Of course Holmes was very tough but he could be hurt, he could also recover better than most.

If Lewis is willing to set up a chance then I could see him taking too big a lead early for Holmes to claw back. If he allows it to be too technical then I think Larry's too versatile and brave.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 3 Mar - 18:44

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see both men have fairly agressive moments. Lewis was only ever taken out by power punching sluggers, which Holmes isn't. He's a boxer with good power though. Lewis may want to take a chance against the smaller man and try to land that very discouraging right of his. Of course Holmes was very tough but he could be hurt, he could also recover better than most.

If Lewis is willing to set up a chance then I could see him taking too big a lead early for Holmes to claw back. If he allows it to be too technical then I think Larry's too versatile and brave.

Holmes wins rounds 2-12. A near on shut out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 3 Mar - 18:52

I think Holmes wins.

He has most of what Lewis has but is far less fragile.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down