The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby League Ireland

+2
George Hotel1895
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

Rugby League Ireland Empty Rugby League Ireland

Post by Adam D Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Great article from Emerald Rugby here:

Rugby League Ireland is beginning to reap the benefits of their inaugural Talent Identification Academy that took place in Limerick this May, with confirmation that three players who took part in the 3 day showcase are heading to Super League clubs for a month long trial period.
In addition, a standout member of Rugby League Ireland’s underage set up has also already joined Leeds Rhinos Under 20s on trial.

Aaron McCloskey, who currently plays Rugby Union with Garryowen RFC & Ian Cross, Young Munster RFC, will both commence month long trials this week with Super League giants St Helens while William Stewart, Belfast Harlequins RFC is heading to Castleford Tigers. All three young players took part in the Talent Identification Academy in Limerick in May at which over 20 young players from all four Irish provinces took part in workouts, fitness testing, interviews and games watched by head coaches from top UK league clubs. On the back of their performances at the Academy, all three players were immediately called into the Irish ‘A’ Rugby League panel and made their international debuts in the recent international with Wales.

Another young talent who was due to take part in the Academy but was unable to do so due to exam commitments in May was Joseph Taylor, Barnhall RFC, who is currently spending the summer on trial with Leeds Under 20’s and made his competitive Under 20 debut last week. Joseph was spotted playing for Ireland by ex Irish International Barry McDermott, who is now Head of Youth Development at the Yorkshire Club. Joseph plays his domestic Rugby League with the North Dublin Eagles and has played senior level with Ireland in 2010 in addition to captaining the Irish student team in 2011.

Welcoming the news that three players have been picked up for trial as a result of the Academy, Gordon Matthews, General Manager of Rugby League Ireland, explained. “The idea behind that inaugural Talent Identification Academy was to give players of high ability an opportunity to see if a career in Rugby League was something they would be interested in. This in turn allows Rugby League Ireland as the national body improve the quality of our national team, through identifying young raw talent that may flourish in the professional game in the UK. As we head towards the 2013 World Cup, our hope is that more home grown young talent will make the grade in the professional game in the UK which will help make our national team more competitive against the established nations. It is very satisfying that in its first year, the Academy has successfully identified a number of young talents who are now being given their chance to impress at some of Super League’s biggest clubs. Plans are already underway to host a similar Talent Identification Academy in 2012. “

Rugby League Ireland currently registers 20 clubs throughout the 32 counties and their three provincial league season runs over 14 weeks. Ireland will host Samoa & France later this year in the first Rugby League Internationals to be played in Thomond Park. This comes on the back of the recently announced submission to host games in the Rugby League World Cup 2013 in Thomond Park, in conjunction with Shannon Development and The Shannon Region Conference & Sports Bureau. Those wishing to support the campaign to secure Limerick’s status as a host city can do so at the ‘Back the Bid – Limerick 2013’ Facebook page

Here is the link to the article - http://www.emeraldrugby.com/News/RLI/Irish-boys-chase-Superleague-dream.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Let us know your thoughts on it.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Rugby League Ireland Empty Re: Rugby League Ireland

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:08 pm

I really do hope it works out in Ireland for them. I was hoping at one time that Ireland would get a Super League team, they still might , but not for a while now.
If RLI can build year on year i'm sure they, the clubs and Rugby League will all prosper. God luck to every involved in the game their.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm surprised this hasn't happened till now. Hopefully it becomes an annual thing.

I don't know anything about Joseph Taylor but I have seen Ian Cross and Aaron McCloskey. Ian Cross plays centre in union but I think in League he'd move to lock or stand off. Pretty skillful and a big man but lacking a bit in top end speed.

McCloskey is a lock in Union so would move to prop in League. A massive guy who stands around 6'7/8. Got incredible strength and if it wasn't for a poor work ethic might have made it further in Union.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:47 am

I have to say this is one of the most promising things to happen I think to Rugby League in Ireland. The way they'll get more players is showing them there's a possibility of a pro career in this sport.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Played age level rugby with both in Union. Glad to see it and agree that its good for Rugby League in Ireland.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Good news for Rugby League Ireland especailly with their Limerick bid in the pipeline. Would trust MBTGOG and Stag's judgment on the players.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:39 pm

It's good to see those guys getting a chance to show their wares in the Super League through the Talent Identification Academy. I don't know much about the sport in Ireland but 20 clubs over 32 counties sounds pretty impressive considering all the other sports played there.

Coming from a multi-football-code country like Australia - all I can say is I hope RL continues to develop in Ireland as I'm sure there's plenty of talent waiting to be discovered...and that you do well against the French and Samoans at Thomond Park later this year. I sincerely hope to see an Irish player take the field here one day - we've already had many English and the odd Welshman play in the ARL/NRL - and I'm sure a talented Irishman will have a lot to offer the fans.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:49 pm

Linebreaker wrote: I'm sure a talented Irishman will have a lot to offer the fans.

If only there had been a talented Irish rugby league player . . . . . .cough cough . . .Brian Carney . . . Very Happy

Born in Cork, played for Musnter in Rugby Union. Travelled to 2007 Rugby Union World Cup for Ireland.

PLayed for Newcastle Knights in NRL
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:58 pm

PLayed for Ireland in the 7's World Cup and I think he played in the League world cup too.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Oopps, I forgot about Brain Carney...it's been a long day. Any others I might have missed? Plenty of players with Irish names/ancestry here too.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down